Purpose of Job:
Assist with the day-to-day operations of the Accounting Department, including the maintenance of the general ledger, subsidiary ledgers, and sub-systems on a timely basis in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and the application of effective internal control. Provide useful and relevant accounting and financial reporting services for the successful management of business operations.
Location: Huber - Charlotte, NC
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist with the day-to-day operations of the accounting department.
• Initially serve as backup for the Superuser for the general ledger system, transition to full Superuser responsibility.
• Assist with the month end closing of the general ledger, including standard journal entries, closing accounts receivable, rebate accrual and fixed assets. Review G/L preliminary and final close for assigned departments.
• Provide direct financial analysis and support to assigned departments including (a) assisting in preparation, management and control of normal budgetary expenses, (b) preparing budget review documentation for functional VPs for presentation to Leadership Team, (c) seeking cost reduction opportunities and quantifying cost savings, (d) providing variance analysis of actual results to forecasts, budget and prior periods, and (e) tracking expenses, discussing spending expectations with managers monthly and keeping managers aware of major expenditures.
• Serve as Fixed Assets Administrator, including full responsibility for Oracle Project, tracking status of projects, projecting depreciation expense for the budget, and all other day to day functions. Maintain project status on HEW website. Follow up on post project reviews when appropriate.
• Serve as administrator of the vehicle leasing program.
• Serve as administrator of the HEW electronic capital appropriations request process, ensuring all necessary approvals are received before opening project in Oracle. Help maintain and monitor the proxies set up by users.
• Serve as invoicing coordinator for HEW. This entails, but is not limited to, running invoicing on a daily basis, sending invoice copies to customers, investigating invoices that appear to be in error, etc.
• Serve as T&E administrator for HEW. This entails managing new card applications, terminations and assisting users on expense reports.
• Serve as purchasing card administrator.
• Serve as HEW Spend Authorization Coordinator. Will audit spending hierarchy on a semi-yearly basis. Will maintain spending spreadsheet and update as necessary by getting appropriate approvals and updating Oracle.
• Responsible for preparing the following schedules on a monthly basis: 1) Capital Investment Schedule for assigned departments, 2) bank statement reconciliation 3) account reconciliations for assigned departments.
• Prepare monthly reconciliations of balance sheet accounts assigned including taking corrective actions, if necessary.
• Investigate and resolve potential unclaimed property transactions. Review the bank reconciliation for outstanding checks older than 90 days. Continue to contact individuals or companies with outstanding checks to resolve as many as possible.
• Perform selected duties of the Senior Accountant in her absence.
• On a weekly basis, monitor the status of the unprocessed invoice report for Charlotte location to ensure that invoices that have been put on payment hold are timely resolved and removed from the report.
• Run Dun & Bradstreet reports and gather trade references for new and existing customer as necessary.
• Prepare deposits for checks received at the Charlotte office.
• Reconcile inventory balances in our off site reload center.
• Maintain Employee Pricing file on a semi-annual basis.
• Manage petty cash account.
• Submit the sales & use tax returns.
• Perform such other accounting, financial, or administrative duties as assigned.
• Successfully lead initiatives to completion without direct supervision.
• No direct reports
• Some light travel
• This position is based in Charlotte, North Carolina
• 4-year degree (Accounting or Finance)
• 1-3 years experience required
• Manage rapidly changing priorities in a fast-paced multi-faceted environment.
• Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
• Individual should be thoroughly knowledgeable in the areas of general accounting and office administration. Individual should also have excellent communication skills.
• Individual should have excellent computer skills with both PC software such as spreadsheet and word processor applications and Client Server type Ledger systems such as Oracle.
• Must have a strong “can do” work ethic, positive attitude and team mentality.
• Self-starter with high focus on quality, customer service and attention to detail.
• Accurate and timely completion of assigned areas of responsibility. Maintain good communications and relations with accounting staff at plant and corporate levels.
• Remain cognizant of ways to continually improve the accounting and information flow process for capital investments, internal controls and other accounting procedures.
• Working in cross-functional teams, providing accounting and financial analysis, and supporting others in a common goal.